FAQ

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions I receive. If you can’t find an answer to something here, check out my news posts for other topics and information!

Q: How long have you been playing the violin?

A: I have been playing on and off for about 20 years, and I studied privately for about 13 of those years.

Q: What type of violin do you use?

A: My violin is a hand made Italian violin from the 1780s.

Q: Can you recommend a good violin brand for me?

A: I don’t know how to recommend any “brands” necessarily because I have used hand made instruments ever since I started using a full sized violin. If you’re looking for something inexpensive to start out on, I would advise you to find a local string instrument store to try as many violins in your price range as possible and make your decision based off of what you like the best.

Q: Do you have any original songs?

A: Yes! I have 2 albums of original music: Odyssey and Taylor Davis.

Q: Will you send me the sheet music for _______?

A: You can find all available sheet music in my store here!  I recently was able to license more of my cover songs through Hal Leonard and created a violin play-along book with them!

Q: Do you think it’s too old for me to learn the violin?

A: Absolutely not! I don’t think you can ever be too old to learn something new. If your goal is to play music for fun and bring joy to yourself and others, it’s never too late.

Q: Do you play video games?

A: Yes! I definitely spent more time playing video games than practicing my violin when I was younger lol :X but now I only game on occasion.

Q: What is your favorite video game?

A: Final Fantasy VII. I also loved Chrono Trigger, FFIX, FFX, Zelda OOT, Halo….so many more lol.  My most recent favorite games are The Last of Us and The Witcher 3.  Now I mostly play League of Legends because I don’t have as much time for longer games.

Q: Do you play any other instruments?

A: I can play the piano, but not very well.

Q: What is your favorite type of music to play?

A: Since I grew up with video games, I really became attached to that type of music early on. I was classically trained and really only ever worked on popular/video game songs on my own by ear. I do love classical music as well, but because of the nostalgia associated with movies and video games, I usually get the most pleasure out of playing that type of music.

Q: What are your favorite classical pieces?

A: I personally enjoy shorter show pieces over major concertos. Zigeunerweisen and Zapateado by Sarasate and Polonaise Brillante No.2 in A by Wieniawski are some of my favorite shorter pieces. For longer pieces I love Symphonie Espagnole by Lalo and Scottish Fantasy by Bruch.

Q: What do you like to do besides playing the violin?

A: Musically, I really love composing and working with various music programs on the computer. I also really enjoy reading research articles and historical books about music. Non-musically, I love physical activities like weight-lifting, hiking, playing sports, etc. I also really enjoy traveling, photography, cooking and baking (I love food!), playing video games, and just hanging out with friends and family. I consider myself a pretty easy-going person and I can have a great time doing just about anything if I’m with good company!

Q: Can I request a song for you to play?

A: Since I get so many requests, I unfortunately cannot cover requests. I don’t mind at all when you share a song/composer with me and let me know that you like it because I like hearing what you’re interested in. I do pay attention to songs that are heavily requested and once in a while I’ll choose my most requested song or do a poll on facebook to see what you would like me to play next!

Q: Can I use one of your covers for a video I’m making?

A: I don’t mind, as long as your video is not for profit and is relatively PG (no swearing, nudity, etc.), and you find somewhere to credit myself (and any other performers in the video if it is a collaboration) by linking to my YouTube channel, facebook, etc. If you’re inquiring to use one of my original or cover songs for commercial use, please fill out the Song Permissions contact form HERE and someone will get back to you with details on how to move forward!

Q: Where can I see you perform live?

A:  You can see all of my upcoming performance dates HERE! I’m always adding new dates to the calendar so if you don’t see a performance near you on the tour page right now, you can always follow my pages on facebook/twitter/instagram and sign up for my official newsletter to get updates as to where I’ll be performing next!

1. capercaillie says:

I found your YouTube Channel unexpectedly. Your music is so wonderful and I placed the order all of your physical CD after finished listening. Thanks for giving me a great time with your music.

2. Jim says:

Hello Taylor,
    Thank you for sharing something you obviously love so much with us. The passion in your music whether it be a solo performance or a collaberation is truly a thing of beauty. Listening to your music has become a must for me each day. I’ve been a gamer for over 40 years and have always loved the music. I’m a big fan of Zelda OOT. I really just wanted to thank you and to say that I look forward to hearing much more from you.

3. Mathias says:

Hey,

I’ve been watching your channel for a year & a half or so and I’m always delighted by your work! Maybe it’s just my gaming chilhood’s nostalgia speaking, but your covers are oustanding! Dunno if you have a tour operator, but if so, tell him to book some gigs in France, we’d be happy to welcome you!

Keep up the good work!

Mathias

4. Tobias Coffield says:

You are Wonderful. I was wondering if you could make sheet music foe arrival to earth from transformers?

5. bart says:

are you ever planning on comming over to europe i would love to see you play and i so love the sound of your violin its amazing

6. amanda says:

Hi Taylor,

I appreciate the way you play as your pieces are never overdone. The smiles you break during most of your videos reveal that you are special and unmarred by popularity. Keep doing that. Be blessed.

7. Zuber Noorani says:

hi young lady Taylor swift..lol:)you play very nice almost touch everyone’s heart your notes are as beautiful as you are,well now i am a medical student now i will become a doctor after one year,i am good at playing guitar and i play in my own way i have never gone to music school and i lean my self..now i have developed interest playing violin so could you tell me how should i be starting and how much similar to guitar and what size to buy and which one to buy from your experience,good luck,
    TAKE CARE.

8. Aniket says:

Hi!!!

I love all your songs (especially the small modifications that are made to make it a Violin Version) !!!

Would you Please try to play and make a video of “Binks’ Sake” (Binkusu no Sake) from ONE PIECE which is composed by Kōhei Tanaka ???

9. Styliani says:

Hi Taylor!!! I just wanted to say that ever since I started watching your videos you have been an inspiration to me and having more fun while playing violin. Also you’re an amazing player and I think that it’s really cool how you get music from video games and play them. I’d love to see you in concert!! Can’t wait till April!!!

10. Snail says:

I’m really sorry if someone asked this before and I just didn’t see it, or also if this is an annoying question, but is there any chance you might someday release a Chrono Trigger specific album?

11. Brandon says:

Hi Taylor,

I contacted you awhile ago about trying to purchase some physical albums and sheet music, but once I put in my information I get an error saying you don’t ship to Canada. Please let me know how I can get these shipped.

Thanks,

Brandon

P.s. You sound amazing and your arrangements are beautiful!

• Taylor says:

Hi Brandon, sorry about that! So unfortunately my site is a little touchy and because of the shipping plugin I use, it only allows people to place physical orders and digital orders separately, otherwise it gives an error message. So it sounds like you had a physical album in the cart plus digital sheet music (there should have been something that popped up explaining that but maybe it’s broken!) so what you have to do is just place 2 separate orders, one with only the physical CDs and 1 with the digital sheet downloads only. I’m sorry for the inconvenience, but that’s the only option I have right now with my currently shipping setup. Hope that makes sense, thanks so much for the nice comments about my music!

• Taylor says:

Oh no honestly no problem lol I struggle my way around updating this site so I definitely wasn’t consistent with where I posted that kind of information on my sheet music!! I just updated them so they should be more obvious now, thanks for bringing that to my attention 🙂 Thanks so much, hope you enjoy the CD, God bless you as well!

• Brandon says:

Thanks Taylor! It was mostly my fault as I didn’t realize all your sheet music is digital (some explicitly says it is while others do not).
        I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly as I’m sure you’re very busy. Looking forward to my cd in mail. Thanks and God bless!

12. Mostafa Shahmehdi says:

Hello Ms.Davis.
    I want to say special thank to you becaus you,with your nice pieces and your great and
    sentimental performance (to force me to weep),caused to change my opinion about violin and you caused to I practice violin beside piano.
    I hope where ever you are,healthy,and your life be full of joy.I hope you have a Guguly Maguly babys(mins lovely in Persian).
    By the way,to appreciatoin of you,I want to gift you a sheet music!This piece is from ((Master Javad Maroofy)),that name is Khaab haye Talaee((Golden Dreams)).To Persian:خواب های طلایی
    This is the link of download: http://up.goldenm.ir/do.php?downf=Golden-Dreams.zip
    I hope you enjoy.
    In the end,please exuseme for my amateur speaking
    Thank you.
    M.Shahmehdi from:Iran

13. MB says:

Hi Taylor, I wished u would come to Germany and make a tour here. You are so great and I wished I could see u live here and enjoy your music and wonderful sound.

14. Summer says:

Hello,Taylor i have been wanting to ask u if u would be able to have a performance in Mississauga Canada because i wanted to hear u perform live for such a long time.

15. Aaron says:

Hello Taylor
    I just want to thank you for taking a stressful day and making it fade away. I just purchased your Zelda cd and wow it is beyond amazing. Words could never and will never do it justice. Your music could bring me to tears with its elegance. Keep up the phenomenal work and keep rocking that violin. 🙂

16. Barry Nazar says:

Dear Taylor
    You are an inspiration. There are many of us who are beginner and mediocre violinists or fiddlers. I would love it (and pay) if you developed some tutorials on how you play certain pieces, especially showing your unique arrangements. Particular pieces that would appeal are: Pirates of Caribbean, Concerning Hobbits, Time to Say Goodbye, My Heart Will Go On, Now We Are Free, Game of Thrones. I think these are in my range and I could learn them with an instructional tutorial. I suspect there are thousands of others just like me. You have an appreciative fan base. You could also have an adoring, dedicated, student following (me for sure).
    Anyway, thank you for sharing your music and all the joy and inspiration it brings.
    Best Ever, Barry

• Taylor says:

Thanks for the message and suggestion Barry! It’s definitely something I’ve thought about doing but never have been able to prioritize due to all the other usual stuff I’m keeping up with. I was thinking about starting a 2nd channel some time this year though for tutorials, talking videos etc so if I have the time I will look more into it!

17. Jerry Semler says:

Oh, by the way I forgot to add the really important part of my email…I am 66 years old! Learning is a state of mind. Use it or lose it. Playing the violin requires you use it a lot.

18. Jerry Semler says:

Let me help you with one of your FAQ questions (I liked your answer but here is another perspective). I started playing the violin about 15 months ago. I have never played any instrument nor read music. I have always loved violins. I woke up one day and said it is time to DO IT! I take private lessons once a week and have taken one college course in music theory. I know I will never achieve greatness. But that is OK for I am doing for my own enjoyment. I also watch a lot of YouTube videos for inspiration. Guess who is at the top of my watch list? 🙂

• Taylor says:

Hey Jerry thank you so much for sharing that, I love hearing stories like this 🙂 That’s so inspirational and thanks also for sharing your age because that just goes to show that it doesn’t matter when you start as long as you just do it and stick with it!

19. Ehsan says:

Hi
    it takes a minute to have a crush on someone,
    an hour to like someone, and an day to love someone…
    but it takes a lifetime to forget someone.
    I like you and your album…
    how old play violin?
    can i play violin!?

20. Amir says:

Hi taylor!
    i like 2 violinst and you are one of them.
    i happey from this happans.