FAQ

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions I receive. If you can’t find an answer to something here, check out my news posts for other topics and information!

Q: How long have you been playing the violin?

A: I have been playing on and off for about 20 years, and I studied privately for about 13 of those years.

Q: What type of violin do you use?

A: My violin is a hand made Italian violin from the 1780s.

Q: Can you recommend a good violin brand for me?

A: I don’t know how to recommend any “brands” necessarily because I have used hand made instruments ever since I started using a full sized violin. If you’re looking for something inexpensive to start out on, I would advise you to find a local string instrument store to try as many violins in your price range as possible and make your decision based off of what you like the best.

Q: Do you have any original songs?

A: Yes! I have 2 albums of original music: Odyssey and Taylor Davis.

Q: Will you send me the sheet music for _______?

A: You can find all available sheet music in my store here!  I recently was able to license more of my cover songs through Hal Leonard and created a violin play-along book with them!

Q: Do you think it’s too old for me to learn the violin?

A: Absolutely not! I don’t think you can ever be too old to learn something new. If your goal is to play music for fun and bring joy to yourself and others, it’s never too late.

Q: Do you play video games?

A: Yes! I definitely spent more time playing video games than practicing my violin when I was younger lol :X but now I only game on occasion.

Q: What is your favorite video game?

A: Final Fantasy VII. I also loved Chrono Trigger, FFIX, FFX, Zelda OOT, Halo….so many more lol.  My most recent favorite games are The Last of Us and The Witcher 3.  Now I mostly play League of Legends because I don’t have as much time for longer games.

Q: Do you play any other instruments?

A: I can play the piano, but not very well.

Q: What is your favorite type of music to play?

A: Since I grew up with video games, I really became attached to that type of music early on. I was classically trained and really only ever worked on popular/video game songs on my own by ear. I do love classical music as well, but because of the nostalgia associated with movies and video games, I usually get the most pleasure out of playing that type of music.

Q: What are your favorite classical pieces?

A: I personally enjoy shorter show pieces over major concertos. Zigeunerweisen and Zapateado by Sarasate and Polonaise Brillante No.2 in A by Wieniawski are some of my favorite shorter pieces. For longer pieces I love Symphonie Espagnole by Lalo and Scottish Fantasy by Bruch.

Q: What do you like to do besides playing the violin?

A: Musically, I really love composing and working with various music programs on the computer. I also really enjoy reading research articles and historical books about music. Non-musically, I love physical activities like weight-lifting, hiking, playing sports, etc. I also really enjoy traveling, photography, cooking and baking (I love food!), playing video games, and just hanging out with friends and family. I consider myself a pretty easy-going person and I can have a great time doing just about anything if I’m with good company!

Q: Can I request a song for you to play?

A: Since I get so many requests, I unfortunately cannot cover requests. I don’t mind at all when you share a song/composer with me and let me know that you like it because I like hearing what you’re interested in. I do pay attention to songs that are heavily requested and once in a while I’ll choose my most requested song or do a poll on facebook to see what you would like me to play next!

Q: Can I use one of your covers for a video I’m making?

A: I don’t mind, as long as your video is not for profit and is relatively PG (no swearing, nudity, etc.), and you find somewhere to credit myself (and any other performers in the video if it is a collaboration) by linking to my YouTube channel, facebook, etc. If you’re inquiring to use one of my original or cover songs for commercial use, please fill out the Song Permissions contact form HERE and someone will get back to you with details on how to move forward!

Q: Where can I see you perform live?

A:  You can see all of my upcoming performance dates HERE! I’m always adding new dates to the calendar so if you don’t see a performance near you on the tour page right now, you can always follow my pages on facebook/twitter/instagram and sign up for my official newsletter to get updates as to where I’ll be performing next!

1. Ahmet Kutsi Yılmaz says:

Why do not you answer, I’m a fan. Meanwhile’re playing very well.(I am sorry, Google translate9 😀

2. ekoog says:

I was playing chrono trigger for the first time in yeeeears then searched the chrono theme on youtube…I found your version….I now own a violin.

3. Ahmet Kutsi Yılmaz says:

Hello, You are very very good violinst. I want to play violinist,too. What do you suggest me? 🙂 (NOTE: I like playing League of Legends, too.) 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

4. sriharsha says:

Hi Taylor greetings

This is sriharsha from India.Your music touched my heart.I want you to play something special which can touch the soul for the sake of Mediation.Expecting much more from you.

It fill’s my heart with joy unspeakable words.

It’s beginning !!!!!!!!!!

my regards & thanks
    sriharsha

5. Aleem says:

Hi Taylor,

I just discovered you on Youtube and played some videos…You are awesome. He’s pirate and GOT theme covers are my favorite one.
    Usually I listen violin music with my eyes closed but since you are very much pretty I have been listening to your songs watching you. I know you are married [I have seen your ring] but I am helpless… 😛
    Anyway I wish you best of luck for your future….:)

6. Abby Cain says:

Hi Taylor!

I have been playing the violin since I was 8 and now I’m 10. I really enjoy playing the violin and listening to you play the violin on YouTube! I wish I was as good as you, but I know that if I keep practicing I will be as good as you. Good luck!

7. julielcr says:

Taylor! You’re grate! Jajaja Bless since Argentina

8. Gustavo L. says:

I got here by a story I wrote and which was about music (fantasy genre). When I was writing I used to listen to (for inspiration) symphonies of The Lord of the Rings (Howard Shore), and later, when he had finished, he had narrated what I liked and started looking more instrumental music on youtube (especially video games like Skyrim) and there, to be honest, I saw malukah first, then to stirling and then to ViolinTay. From the above, his style and his music was what I like: D. Now I’m looking for a violin to learn to play Zelda medley for my sister xD; …, really inspires me to continue writing and maintain that new aspiration for to play violin. Thanks for sharing your music =). Greetings from Mexico. (sorry, is google translator)

9. Daorack says:

Hello, I have asked a similar question, so, sorry for the repeat, but the circumstances are slightly different.

I would like to use the Assassin’s Creed 3 cover you and Lara did in a video series.

You see, Ubisoft now has a very open policy about YouTube videos, and using the YouTube Partner Program to monetize via ads.

That said, I intend to do a combination LP/Review/Commentary series. I would like to use the cover you and Lara did quietly in the background during certain portions of the video.

The reason I have to ask yet again, is because I would like to be able to use the YouTube Monetize option, with the ads, but only if I have permission from you and Lara.

I would of course credit your channel and, even further, encourage people to check you out. I also intend to make sure that use of it is allowed by Ubisoft, who holds the original copyright.

10. Clayton Kucik says:

Hi Taylor! I am a musician of 6 years and I am wondering what music programs you use on your computer. I plan to post some performances on YouTube but I have multiple parts. Thanks!

11. BuddySievers says:

Hi Taylor, i beg you pls do a tour !
    If you would play in germany i would definitly get a ticket !

12. musiclover101 says:

Hi Taylor,
    I really want to play violin. I already play guitar so would it be hard to learn it since I already know notes? I have been trying to con my parents into getting me one. I really enjoy your music and I hope you respond! 🙂

13. Kristian says:

Hi Taylor,
    I was just wondering if you had a preference as to where we purchase your music. Do you get more money if we buy an album from loudr, itunes, your website, etc?

• Taylor says:

Hey Kristian, that’s very nice of you to ask! I definitely get the best return from my personal website because all I have to pay is a small PayPal fee. Loudr and Bandcamp are totally fine too because they don’t take a huge cut, but iTunes/Amazon/Google all take 30%. Thanks a lot for asking!

• Kristian says:

I actually have another question, if it’s not too much of a bother. I’m a *bit* of an audiophile, so I have to ask… what’s the bitrate on the digital .mp3 files? I usually prefer .mp3 to be at least 256kbps. Thanks!

14. Alex says:

Hi taylor! Have you meet some fans in the outside your home? Like

– Oh hey, I know you! Your Violintay!!!!!

• Taylor says:

Can’t say that I’ve ever really had that experience 🙂 the time that Kyle and Lara and I all played at E3 a few people recognized us but I think that’s because they knew we were going to be there and followed our channels 🙂

15. Allie says:

If there were people that wanted to collaborate with you, what would the requirements be?

• Taylor says:

Hi Allie, at this point since this is my career and how I make my living, I usually only collaborate with other people who are pursuing the same career path. Also, it just has to make sense for both people involved where we both have something to offer in terms of the collaboration being mutually beneficial. It’s definitely nothing personal when I don’t collaborate with certain people, I always get sad if people feel bad but I do have to be business-minded with it now since it’s my career!

• Daorack says:

That is a completely logical course of action, and I respect you completely for it.

Just one more reason to do so. 🙂

Unfortunately, time is money, and you cant waste time on a collaboration that’s one sided. Its not arrogance, or looking down your nose at them, it’s just a fact, and your living depends on it.

By the way, good response. I’ve seen nothing but good attitude from you. Keep it up! 🙂

16. Daorack says:

Hello, I see you allow using covers in video’s if the video is non-profit and credit is properly given.

However, of course, there’s the fact that the original game company would have a say on the matter, obviously.

I was wondering if you happened to know if it was safe to use your Final Fantasy VII: Cid’s Theme cover in a video, as long as I didn’t enable ads on that particular video?

Also, excellent work, and kudo’s to you for actually taking the time to interact with your fan base, a lot of people don’t do that. 🙂

• Taylor says:

Yes, I don’t monetize any of my videos unless I have licensing directly from the companies, which is why I can’t ever give permission for people using my covers and then monetizing them. It shouldn’t be a problem for you to use that song as long as it’s not monetized, and I don’t mind as long as you credit me somewhere in your video. Thanks for asking!

• Daorack says:

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, my account will eventually be monetized, but I just wont monetize that particular video (among a few others I can’t legally/safely do so with.)

Anyways, thanks! Yeah, I’ll make sure to link your channel itself, in fact.

By the way, great work! Keep it up! 🙂

17. Kat Wolf says:

Taylor has an Official Fan group on facebook if you guys want to join and interact with Taylor and other fans!

18. Charles Williams says:

After hearing your music, why isn’t “will you go out with me?” a frequently asked question.

19. sergio says:

Hello my name is Sergio and I’m from Argentina, I just want to say thank you for your music and your heart, I discovered your music for the piece of Requiem for a Dream and two hours ago I’m listening to you. Thank you.
    Sergio
    PS: sorry for my English translation is not very good

20. Micaela says:

I seldom leave responses, but after browsing through some of the responses on this page Frequently Asked Questions
    | TaylorDavisViolin. I do have a couple of questions for you if you don’t mind. Could it be simply me or does it look like some of the comments look like they are written by brain dead folks? 😛 And, if you are writing on additional sites, I would like to follow you. Would you make a list of the complete urls of your social sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?